Jenny's Blog...

Monday, August 28, 2006

First 3 days...

Warning: this is a long post - After a whirlwind several days here in NYC, I'm finally sitting down to process just a few of the numerous thoughts flying through my head... I saw family from Boston and in Brooklyn for about 8 1/2 hours on Sunday, so that was a surprise and also pretty tiring. There is much to think about and pray for in my always-interesting family.

The move-in process was pretty smooth. God was so gracious in having my spiritual parents from Cherry Hill, NJ come and pick me and my big heavy suitcases up from JFK, takeme to Manhattan, and help me organize despite my very tired state after weeks of little sleep. He continues to provide SO faithfully...in all the ways I've needed. I look forward seeing how the Lord continues to prove Himself to be my loving Daddy and Provider.

It's really crazy here. I think I'd forgotten how that felt; to be back in a bustling East Coast city. Now that I'm back, the smells (some very yucky), sights, and sounds (and lots of them) are definitely reminding me of the great metropolis I am in. As expected, I miss the beautiful Seattle environment and the wonderful community I had on the Eastside of Lake Washington. It's really weird to be smaller than all of my roommates for the first time in my life, too. I know that seems odd to point out, but it's weird for me since I've only lived with one girl taller than me before... I guess I have something of a big Asian girl complex. Perhaps God is showing me something?

I find it ironic that H&M, Gap, Forever 21, American Eagle Outfitters, Banana Republic, Aldo, Victoria's Secret, Ann Taylor Loft, the world's largest Macy's (diagonally across the street), and many other stores are just 1-3 minutes away from the front door of my apartment tower. It's ironic because I really don't like shopping...sometimes I'll even say I hate it. =\ Oh well, I need to go business suit-shopping anyway. =) At least I don't have to stray too far from where I live as I embark on the process to find the right one.

New Student Orientation for The King's College is this whole week. We started this week with sessions inside the CUNY Graduate Center a few minutes from the Empire State Building and where I live. King's is definitely a place the Lord has confirmed in my heart to be at and learn in this season. However, I'm struggling with how receptive I'm being to building relationships with the student body, though. I knew this would be a struggle to start with, but I guess it's become more apparent to me how hard this might be as I'm also missing the great friends, fulfilling ministry, great mentors, and supportive community God's provided for me since living in Seattle.

A lot of grand ideas were spoken about today as we heard from the faculty and the president of the college. I'm hanging on to the fact that know why I came here and have a good sense for what God wants to teach me during my time here about Biblical leadership to help change the world and about my personal relationship with Him. The "Freedom to Fail", Courage for God's Kingdom, Difficulty (major school-wide theme this year), Significance, Statesmanship, Proper Motivation to drive us, Integrity and our Potential were all topics touched on during the different sessions. These ideas along with the greater, very ambitious and revolutionary vision of this school all resonate with me, so I am very excited to be a part of it. I'm a bit anxious about the academic rigor of this school, but am expecting nothing less to prepare me for what's ahead after my time at King's. Two years feels like a long time to have been out of school before jumping back in with an academically elite student body, though...=

I guess this all boils down to me needing prayer, grace, openness, patience, humility, Scriptural wisdom and guidance - to lean on His love, purpose, and care for me during this critical time. I know I can do this; I'm meant to be a significant leader and God's given me many indicators of that already. Honestly though, I'm scared and feeling lonely as I've yet to get plugged in and truly connect with others (small group, mentors) here in NYC. It's only been a few days, but I think it's especially hard for me since so many amazing things happened during my 6 1/2 years (almost all of my Christian life so far) in Seattle. I was anticipating feeling all of this since I'd thought about how this adjustment period might be, but it's still hard as my character is being chipped away at and shaped - difficult as promised, right? God is good. =)

1 Comments:

Blogger gear-girl said...

Jenny - it encourages me to read your blog entry and see that even in your struggles you can continue to praise God and to continue to seek for His provisions in your life. The girls and I will be keeping you in our prayers - you won't be forgotten here!! - that you might be able to get plugged in and find yourself a community that will bless you in this next stage in life but also one in which you can continue to serve and grow. Keep in touch!

Tue Aug 29, 02:06:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home