Jenny's Blog...

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The Power of Story

We had our campus-wide retreat this past weekend. Here's a random picture of a mushroom growing on a tree in upstate NY.

It was really nice to be in nature, far away from the concrete of midtown Manhattan, even though it doesn't compare to the lush beauty of Seattle. Our speaker's messages really made me think about Heaven and what we're doing here. I guess the more important takeaway is that what we're doing here is preparing us for our inheritance...

Being at a college where most all of the students are convicted about their calls to influential leadership in the world, places us in a very unique place to serve and sharpen one another as we learn and strive for greatness together. As I think about the amazing ways God has pulled me out of the pits of poverty, depression, dysfunction, and abuse to redeem what Satan meant for destruction, I am humbled and exceedingly grateful. I'm feeling overwhelmed at times right now because I didn't realize I'd have such a hard time moving back here to New York. I really miss the amazing community and family I had on the West Coast.

I'm encouraged as I am continually presented with the "big picture" purpose behind why I'm here through different people and situations I come across lately. It certainly helps with getting back into the swing of academics and used to other aspects of daily life in the city. Another important takeaway: Although we know God will use us to make huge impacts in strategic institutions (commerce, media, education, government, law, civil society, the arts and the church) we are not to place our hope in these institutions. Our hope as disciples of Christ, perhaps especially so as His servant leaders in the world, is in the Kingdom to Come; that which will not pass away. He's given us our stories here so that we may contribte to His Grand Story for eternity.

Blessed? Incredibly and abundantly. Does this involve great difficulty? Yes, and more than I know right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home